Tuesday 13 September 2022

2022 Austria Day 7: Gosau & Blauntausee

14 Sep 2022: Day 7

We were back to the lake to complete the entire track which brought us to the first lake Vorderer Gosausee, the middle lake, Gosaulacke, as well as the third and final lake, Hinterer Gosausee. We took closed to 4 hours for return trip with a picnic at the third lake. I could not locate the second lake but with the help of GPS I finally found it and I understood why I could not see it earlier. It was because the lake was dry without any water. Despite without sunshine, the lakes still amazing. 

The first lake






The second lake.

The third lake






On the way back we met these fellows. I was alone back then as I stopped to take photos while my parents had already walked further ahead. It took me some time to have courage to walk pass them. 



We headed to Bluntausee which was one hour driving from Gosauseen. We parked our car (3 Euro) and started the quiet and relaxing 45-minute hike to Bluntausee Lake. There were beautiful shades of blue and green in the crystal clear water. Reflection in the water was clearly visible.











After our walk we drove to our guesthouse, Gasthof Goldene Traube, where we spent a night. Believe it or not, I had actually achieved 30,000 walking steps today. I decided to forget about diet meal and wanted to eat a proper dinner. The town where we stayed was small. We ended up having our dinner at our guesthouse's restaurant which was quite crowded so I thought the food should not be bad. We ordered 5 items and they all costed 55 euro in total. 
1. Baked chicken breast strips in sesame on lettuce, potato wedges and yogurt dip 
2. Spinach dumplings with brown butter, parmesan & salad
3. Pork fillets with pepper sauce on beans with croquettes
4. Salzburg Nockerl
5. 0.5 pint of beer

What was interesting about these pork fillets were they appeared to be undercooked. At once I thought I ordered beef wrongly and checked with the staff she then told me the pork was meant to be eaten this way. I never like to eat undercooked or raw meat, especially pork. Yet, I finished them all. 


The baked chicken strips were okay, just that everything was dry since there was no gravy

Spinach dumpling was the only vegetarian dish my dad could eat. They were made of bread cubes, grated mountain cheese, butter, milk, onions, eggs, seasonings, and fresh herbs such as chives and parsley then fried in butter until golden brown on both sides. To be honest, I do not fancy this at all, because the texture was like soggy bread to me, and the taste was quite bland. 


Salzburg Nockerl is a traditional Austrian dessert found only in Salzburg. It's egg whites and sugar baked to a light, fluffy soufflé with a creamy texture and delicate flavor. I tried Salzburg nockerl at two different places and they were different in texture. I prefer this one because it had the cake texture rather than just souffle

No comments: